Benefits of buying direct from the producers
The Farmer’s Market is a pivot point for community development on many different levels. Many community elements are positively influenced by the existence of a strong farmers market. Such elements include arts and culture, agriculture, tourism, the retirement economy, community health, quality of life, environmental protection, and social development in the Quesnel area. Other advantages to buying locally are:
- You are taking advantage of the opportunity to buy super fresh produce, which is generally picked a very short time prior to you purchasing it, (hours to a couple of days). It tastes better and will last in the fridge longer!
- Produce is of a higher quality as it stays on the plant longer, maximizing its nutrient content, appearance, texture, and of course, taste.
- Less processing and preparation at home is needed for market produce, compared to over-ripe or under-ripe foods that were imported into BC and sold at the local supermarket.
- It will heighten your awareness of how much tastier in-season foods are are than out-of-season.
- Buying local produce supports the local farming community, as the money you spend on the produce goes directly to the farmer and does not get intercepted by any middle men.
- More local jobs within the agri-food sector will be maintained and created if the demand for local products increases.
- Purchasing foods grown and produced in BC sustains farming in BC communities and keeps BC variety products available.
- You are helping to increase the sense of community in the city and maintain community character.